Brussels Sprouts & Goat Cheese Flatbread
This recipe is easy, delicious and nutritious! The complex savory flavors of SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro & Hibiscus Sauce dance beautifully with the caramelized onions, leafy green Brussels sprouts and the subtle tart of the creamy goat cheese. Make it for an appetizer or as the main course with a side salad. This one is sure to become one of your favorites in your dinner rotation.
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 extra-large Onion or 2 medium sized, half-moon sliced
- ½ pound Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound Pizza Dough, freshly prepared *
- 1/3 cup of SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro & Hibiscus Sauce
- 4 oz. Goat Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Warm 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium low heat. Add the onions and 1 teaspoon of salt. Be sure to keep the heat level where the onions cook with a soft sizzle but low enough so they don’t brown too quickly. Stirring occasionally, cook onions until onions are tender and a golden brown, approximately 20 -25 minutes. Transfer onions to a bowl and reserve.
- Slice off ends of Brussels and pull off the individual leaves and repeat when you reach new tough end until you all the sprouts have been broken down into leaves. Toss Brussels sprouts leaves with 1 -2 teaspoons of olive oil, so they are lightly coated and season with a pinch of salt, set aside.
- On a lightly floured clean surface, roll out pizza dough as thin as possible while maintaining an even surface. Place flatbread on a cooking sheet or a preheated pizza stone. Drizzle about 1 -2 tablespoons of olive oil over flatbread dough and season with salt. Spread 1/3 cup of SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro & Hibiscus Sauce all over the dough, leaving 1 inch border of dough all the way around the flatbread. Layer with cooked onions, half of the crumbled goat cheese and the Brussels sprouts leaves.
- Transfer flatbread to the oven and bake until crust is puffed and golden and the Brussels sprout edges are lightly crisp, about 7-10 minutes. Allow flatbread to cool a few minutes then slice and serve. Garnish with remaining goat cheese and enjoy!
*This recipe works as well with readymade pizza crust, just top with SALSAOLOGY Artisanal Mexican Sauce and the rest of the ingredients.
Also perfect recipe for whole wheat and gluten free dough options!
Number of servings (yield): 6