Tinga is a traditional Mexican dish preparation made with shredded chicken and a tomato based sauce whose essential ingredient is the chipotle chile. Although tinga has its origin in the central state of Puebla, tinga is prepared throughout other regions with variations that use pork, beef and even sardines. Making tinga using our TingaSimmer Sauce, which gets its smoky flavors from chipotle peppers helps bring this tasty and satisfying dish to the table fast and easily. Use the tinga mixture as a filling for tacos, torta sandwiches or quesadillas.
- 1 - 1.5 pounds of Chicken skinless and boneless, breasts (approx. 2 breasts)
- 1/2 medium White Onion, half moon slices
- 1 jar Tinga Simmer Sauce
- 1 cup Water or Chicken Stock
- Tostadas, homemade or store bought
- Refried beans for tostadas
- Lettuce, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Queso Fresco, crumbled
- Jalapenos, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Turn heat off and set onions aside.
- Season chicken with salt and place in slow cooker. Add sautéed onions and pour SALSAOLOGY Tinga Simmer Sauce over onion and chicken. Combine, cover and cook until chicken is tender. 2-3 hours on LOW setting.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Transfer chicken to plate or cutting board and shred chicken with two forks. Return chicken to slow cooker and combine to coat with the sauce before serving.
- To assemble tostadas (traditional recipe); spread beans or sour cream on tostada. Layer shredded chicken tinga and top with favorite garnishes. Use for taco fillings or burritos.