Recipe & Photos by: Ana Frias, @muydelish
Shrimp Pasta with Creamy Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- 12 oz cooked penne pasta, drained (reserve 1 cup pasta water)
- 4 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb raw medium shrimp, peeled and devein (sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste)
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 2 oz shaved parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons flat parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and cook shrimps until they start to turn pink. About 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer shrimp to a bowl and cover. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and butter. Cook the onions and garlic on high heat until the onions start to become transparent.
- Add the tomato and cook until they start to release all of the juices. Remove from heat and cool off for about 5 minutes.
- Add mixture to a blender plus the SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce, Mexican cream & 1 cup of reserved pasta water, . Blend until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
- Return sauce to the large pot and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat. Add the pasta & shrimp and cook until everything is warm again.
- Add salt & pepper to taste if needed.
- Sprinkle with parsley, thyme & parmesan cheese and serve while hot.
- makes 4 servings