Tamales are synonymous with Christmas or "Navidad" in Mexican households. Yet these corn husk wrapped corn cakes filled with meat or vegetable fillings capture the taste buds of people around the world. Memories are made every year in Mexican families when everyone gathers to make the assembly line of tamales.
What You’ll Need:
- Tamales Masa (Dough) prepared according to package instructions. Maseca Instant Corn Masa Flour Brand or Bob’s Red Mill Masa Harina
- 1 Pack Corn Husks
- 2lbs. Beef Chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Jar Barbacoa One Pot Simmer Sauce
- ¼ Cup Water
Prepare The Corn Husks:
In a large bowl or pot, soak corn husks in very hot water for minimally 30 minutes to an hour, until husks are soft and pliable. Loosen any silk from husks. When ready to assemble tamales; drain, rinse and shake off excess water.
Make The Beef Filling (Instant Pot):
- Season beef with salt to taste. Transfer beef to Instant Pot. Pour entire SALSAOLOGY Barbacoa One Pot Simmer Sauce, and water into Instant Pot. Mix and combine water and sauce with meat.
- Secure lid and ensure vent is closed. Set manual "High Pressure" function on Instant Pot and set time for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes is up, open vent to release steam. Remove beef from Instant pot and shred in a bowl. Return shredded meat to barbacoa juice and toss to coat evenly.
- Working on a clean dry surface, lay husk flat and open with narrow end facing you. Spread 2 tablespoons of dough in a rectangle shape at the center of the husk, leaving 1 inch border on each side and 2 -3 inches plain at the narrow end of the husk.
- Place 2 tablespoons of beef filling on the center of the masa in a log shape. Fold 1 side of husk over filling, then fold other side over to cover. Holding tamale seam side up, fold narrow, pointed end of husk away from you and tuck under tamale. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining husks.
- Fill a large pot with about two inches of water and bring to a boil. Transfer tamales upright or lay flat, seam down, into a steamer insert or basket. Place steamer insert in pot, cover and steam until the filling is firm, about 40 minutes.
- Remove tamales from steamer and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove husks and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 18-24 tamales