How To Make Tamales
Tamales are synonymous with Christmas or "Navidad" in Mexican households. Yet these corn husk wrapped corn cakes filled with meat or vegetable fillings capture the taste buds of people around the world. Memories are made every year in Mexican families when everyone gathers to make the assembly line of tamales.
What you’ll need:
- Tamales Masa (Dough) prepared according to package instructions. Maseca Instant Corn Masa Flour brand.
- 1 pack of Corn Husks
- 1 Jar SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds Pork Butt, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons of Salt
Make the Pork Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a Dutch oven season pork with salt. Add 1 cup of SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce and ½ cup of water or chicken stock to pot and mix. Bring to a low boil, cover and transfer to oven. Braise until pork is very tender, about 2 hours. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred pork and incorporate with sauce. Add remaining SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce and mix well. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
Prepare the Corn Husks:
- In a large bowl or pot, soak corn husks in very hot water for 30 minutes, until husks are soft and pliable. Loosen any silk from husks. Drain, rinse and shake off excess water.
- Working on a clean dry surface, lay husk flat and open with narrow end facing you. Spread 2 tablespoons of dough in a rectangle shape at the center of the husk, leaving 1 inch border on each side and 2 -3 inches plain at the narrow end of the husk.
- Place 2 tablespoons of pork filling on the center of the masa in a log shape. Fold 1 side of husk over filling, then fold other side over to cover. Holding tamale seam side up, fold narrow, pointed end of husk away from you and tuck under tamale. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining husks.
- Fill a large pot with about two inches of water and bring to a boil. Transfer tamales upright or lay flat, seam down, into a steamer insert or basket. Place steamer insert in pot, cover and steam until the filling is firm, about 40 minutes.
- Remove tamales from steamer and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove husks and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 18-24 tamales